An easily accessible introduction to Kristeva's work in English. The essays have been selected as representative of the three main areas of Kristeva's writing--semiotics, psychoanalysis, and political theory--and are each prefaced by a clear, instructive introduction. For beginners or those familiar with Kristeva's work this is a good complement to The Portable Kristeva with a convenient selection of articles from Kristeva's earlier work some of which are otherwise hard to come by.
Part 1: Linguistics, Semiotics, Textuality
1. The System and the Speaking Subject
2. Word, Dialogue and Novel
3. From Symbol to Sign
4. Semiotics: A Critical Science and/or a Critique of Science
5. Revolution in Poetic Language
Part 2: Women, Psychoanalysis, Politics
6. About Chinese Women
7. Stabat Mater
8. Women's Time
9. The True-Real
10. Freud and Love: Treatment and Its Discontents
11. Why the United States?
12. A New Type of Intellectual: The Dissident
13. Psychoanalysis and the Polis