Summary job description
Assist two acquisitions editors (the Editorial Director with acquisitions in Sociology and Neuroscience and the Publisher of Philosophy and Religion) with new manuscripts and proposals, series titles, imported books, revisions, and translations from review to publication and beyond. This position supervises 1-2 interns per semester.
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Additional position-specific minimum qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytic skills.
- Strong proofreading, organizational, word processing, and spreadsheet skills.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to handle confidential matters required.
- Facility with scholarly content and academic writing.
- Must be reliable, friendly and flexible.
- Be able to work independently, confidentially and professionally in a fast-paced office environment.
All interested applicants should apply for this position through the university website at http://www.columbia.edu/content/employment-columbia.html, requisition number: 083699.
Paid Internships, per semester, up to 15 hours per week.
Columbia University Press is looking for interns to work in several departments including Acquisitions Editorial, Editorial Design and Production, Subsidiary Rights or Marketing. You will have the opportunity to assist on a range of tasks relating to the publication of academic books in a variety of fields including literary studies, translation, journalism, social work, continental theory, film, food, and history. We’re looking for someone who is responsible, committed, detail oriented and has a career interest in publishing. This is a paid internship, which may also be eligible for course or program credit.
Please send a cover letter and resume, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please specify in the subject which department you are interested in (Acquisitions Editorial, Editorial Design and Production, Subsidiary Rights or Marketing.)