The following links provide information and relevant forms for Columbia University Press authors and prospective authors.
For Prospective Authors
Click here for instructions on submitting a manuscript for consideration by Columbia University Press and here for proposal guidelines.
For Contracted Authors
Before preparing the final version of your manuscript to deliver to your editor, please read these documents carefully. Click here to download a checklist (PDF) that you can use to make sure you have all the necessary components.
- Columbia University Press Guide for Authors (PDF): This is an overview of the manuscript editorial process at the press. In this document you will find detailed instructions on formatting your manuscript correctly, bibliographic and indexing information, relevant materials to submit with your final manuscript, and copy editing and proofing procedures and instructions.
- Formatting Overview (PDF): This is an abbreviated version of formatting guidelines culled from the author’s guide.
- Design Questionnaire (PDF): This document provides important information to our production department. Please download, fill in, and submit with your final manuscript.
- Author Questionnaire (.doc) or Translator Questionnaire (.doc): Please download the appropriate document, fill it out, and submit it with your final manuscript.
- Marketing Questionnaire (.doc) or Translator Marketing Questionnaire (.doc): Please download, fill in, and submit no later than one month after submitting your final manuscript. This document is an important part of the marketing strategy for your book.
If you choose to include material in your work for which you are not the author, you must secure permission from the legal rights holder. We cannot begin copy editing and production until all permissions are cleared:
Permissions request form (.doc): To be submitted to rights holder: Download this document and use it as a template if you need to request permission to reprint any material from third parties. Your editor will supply you with the relevant publication information.
Permissions spreadsheet (.xls): This must be filled out with original rights-holder information and submitted along with your final manuscript.
Author Royalty Information
Columbia University Press calculates royalties once a year on a calendar-year basis. Royalty statements and checks are mailed by May 1 each year. For further information, please email: email@example.com.